SOCIAL MEDIA

7.24.2017

Coffee & Jesus: A Monday Morning Motivation Series


I published a Sunday Scripture post last week, but quickly realized that I wanted to find a different series that 1) wasn't going live on the weekends and 2) gave me an opportunity to really share my heart. Not that Sunday Scriptures wouldn't, but I felt a Monday morning motivation series would allow me to combine what has been going on with me and find scripture to build it up higher!

One of my favorite sayings is "I need a little bit of coffee and a whole lot of Jesus" and what day of the week does that apply to better than Monday mornings? Starting your week off on the right foot is so important, and I hope these posts help you to do that. So grab a cup of coffee and a Bible and reflect with me this morning!

My mom sent me an article the other day by Christi Straub titled "What My iPhone Stole from Me." What a powerful title, first of all. In the article (which I highly recommend you reading), Christi talks about how, in the name of connection, she has sacrificed quality time with her family. If this doesn't strike a chord with each and everyone of you, either you still have a flip phone (which, honestly, some days I wish I did) or you are in denial.

How many times do we find ourselves multitasking- or so we think. You're talking to a friend, scrolling through Instagram, replying to a group text from your other friends, and keep asking, "huh? Sorry, I didn't hear you." You can't really multitask, I promise. You are neglecting your friend who is live and in person for the attractions of the digital world. You are missing out on real human connection for the soul-sapping comparison that comes with social media. Put down your phone and listen. Talk. Listen some more. Have a real conversation. Odds are that the conversation you're only halfway present in is revolving around something your friend saw on Twitter or Facebook. But what if that friend really needs someone to hear her out today? What if he or she has something weighing on his or her heart and needs someone to really listen? Don't miss out on those opportunities because you're looking at Kylie Jenner's latest selfie.

I'm guilty of it, too. In no way can I seem high and mighty about this. It has become a joke in my family that when we are all together, we sit around in the living room on our phones, not talking to each other. Heck, sometimes we'll even text each other or send something funny we saw on Instagram- all while sitting right next to each other. This has become something to laugh about, not something that we've thought, "hmm... we should really change this."

I'll find myself holed up at a family event, scrolling through newsfeed after newsfeed, instead of talking to my aunts and uncles and cousins that I only get to see once in a while. I'll find myself on a date with Harrison, the man I love with all my heart, more intrigued with my phone than the dinner he so graciously took me to. Quite frankly, this is so simultaneously disappointing and terrifying.

Romans 12:2 says "Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God." 

Take time each and every day to renew your mind. Even the simplest things can help you to spend less time on your phone and more time in the goodness of the world around you. Personally, I decided to turn off notifications to all of my apps, except for my text messages, missed calls, and news alerts. Facebook, Instagram, and all the like have absolutely zero notifications. No red bubbles when I have a new Snapchat, no banners to pop up on my lock screen, nothing. And it has been so refreshing. I find myself picking up my phone less because I have fewer things to prompt me to.

So, make a promise to yourself that you'll be present in your real life interactions this week. Make a conscious effort to put down the phone and see the world around you through your own eyes, not someone else's. Make it a habit, one that you spread to those around you. The fact that we live in a high tech world doesn't mean that we have to revolve our lives around it.

Do you find yourself enraptured in social media and ignoring the real world? How do you remedy this?

No comments :

Post a Comment